Recipe: Skrei Mølje 4th of February 2017
Skrei mølje is a traditional Norwegian meal that makes use of the entire fish. Skrei is in season for such a short time period and this is a great way to serve all parts of this treasured fish.
Ingredients (4 servings):
1 kg Skrei, whole, cleaned and scaled
500 g potatoes
1 bunch of fresh chives
2 qts water
3.3 oz salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 cod roe raw
1 qt water
2 tbsp salt
200 g Skrei liver
8 oz water
4 eggs, boiled
- Wash the eggs and wrap carefully in plastic wrap to hold egg bundle together. Add to salted pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let the eggs simmer until firm and cooked through, approximately 20 minutes.
- Cut the Skrei into 1/2" steaks. In a pot, add water, salt and peppercorns; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and add Skrei; place back on flame and return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until Skrei is cooked through and starting to flake, but not breaking apart, approximately 6 minutes. Remove from liquid and reserve on warm platter until ready to serve.
- Clean liver of membrane and strands, and rinse.
- Next, dice into small pieces and place them in a saucepan with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and gently and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Cooked liver will gray a bit in color.
- Peel, boil and season the potatoes. Serve cooked fish elements on warmed plates with boiled eggs cut into slices and boiled potatoes. Garnish with chopped chives.
Adding a little white vinegar to the water when boiling Skrei can help make the flesh withe and shiny. This can be done by adding 1 tbsp vinegar to 1 quart of water. It is also customary to add a small amount of sliced onions and bay leaves when boiling the liver. This will compliment the flavour of the liver.
Picture and recipe: fromnorway.com (Norges sjømatråd)